The best gifts are always the most personal, and that doesn’t have to mean expensive. Food is always great, so here are some ideas for unique food-related gifts for Mother’s Day or any occasion.
Your friend admires your abilities in the kitchen and loves your signature dish. Buy the ingredients, invite your friend over and teach them the tips and tricks for preparing that exceptional recipe you’ve created. It’s a one-of-a-kind gift and special way to bond with someone close to you.
Or, hire a Personal Chef to come to your house so you and your friend can learn new recipes and techniques, then enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Give yourself as a gift. Plan the menu, buy the ingredients, take the tools and prepare a special meal for your friend in their kitchen. They get to enjoy a terrific meal in the comfort of their own dining room as you become their personal chef for the evening.
Or, hire a Personal Chef who will work with you to create a really memorable and special experience
Give a Recipe
Turn that special recipe you make that everyone loves into a unique gift.
- Choose a gift “basket” that best suits the recipe. Maybe a basket, colander, decorative bag, sieve, serving dish, platter, wooden box, cooler bag, or a stock pot. Get creative!
- Write the recipe on attractive cardstock, postcard or even the back of a photo of you, the gift recipient, or a landscape.
- Arrange ingredients for the recipe in the “basket.”
- If you like, wrap it in cellophane (from craft stores) and tie with a large ribbon.
- Attach a gift card and deliver with a smile!
Food gifts are a thoughtful thank you when you’re invited to a party or to give guests coming to your event.
Keep some distinctive prepared items like seasoned oil, special vinegars, interesting jams and imported salts in your pantry for a last-minute invitation.
Home-made gifts like muffins and small pots of jam are always appreciated.
The ingredients for a custom spice blend or cookie recipe is a quick, easy and very personal gift. Package it in food-safe bags (from craft stores) and then place in a gift box. Make it extra special by attaching a copy of your recipe.
Picnic in a Backpack
There are many retailers who sell picnic backpacks which are excellent for an afternoon of theatre in the park or great for hiking up the side of a mountain. To make the gift even more personal:
- add a bottle of wine or Italian sparkling water
- provide lock and seal containers for the food they want to prepare and take
- include a gift certificate to a favourite deli so they can pick up salads, sandwiches, fruit and cheese on their way to the picnic
- slide in a Frisbee for some fun after lunch
Personal Chef Service
A Personal Chef is the perfect gift for anyone, for any occasion. It is a memorable and special experience, and is a great way to give Mom a break from the kitchen. Fees vary from chef to chef and the service to be provided, and can be in-home or at different locations. Contact us for our Mother’s Day Specials.
To find a personal chef near you, visit www.hireachef.com.
For the busy person who likes to cook but doesn’t have the time to shop and prep, assembled meal service can be a great alternative. There are many companies to choose from and while most are franchises, a few are run by chefs. Some important questions to ask:
- How long has the owner been in business?
- Is the service run by someone with a professional cooking background?
- Are the recipes franchise-generated or created by the owner?
- Does the owner guarantee to replace meals if when cooked, the quality is poor?
In the Edmonton area, try Cook’s Corner (telephone: 780.479.8175). Jackie Ryan is a chef with 20 years of experience and develops all her own recipes. With a loyal repeat customer base, Jackie’s service is delicious and reliable. Check out this recipe for her North African Sweet & Sour Chicken.
Donate and Win Personal Chef Service
As part of a fundraising initiative by the Edmonton Chapter of the Personal Chef Association, if you make a donation in your Mom’s name (or your friend’s name) to the Weekend to End Breast Cancer through my web site, she will be entered into a draw for a Free Meal Service or a Free Four-Course Dinner Party for Six. Your Mom (or friend) gets a tax deductible receipt and a chance at some scrumptious food! For more information about the contest, please click here for more information.