A super easy, quick and light cupcake. Serves 12, or makes one 9″ round layer cake.
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp milk (preferably not skim)
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cupcake tin with large paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar, stir and let sit to curdle.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, beat the soft butter with the sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat well to incorporate.
- Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly among the lined cupcake tins. Don’t overfill.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit 2 or 3 minutes before carefully removing them out and placing on a wire rack to completely cool.
Tips, Suggestions & Information:
- If you have buttermilk in the fridge, you can use an equal measure of that instead.
- If you have fresh vanilla, you could scrape into the batter the seeds from one pod.
- Experiment with different flavourings and additions of citrus zest, grated chocolate, coconut, nuts, etc.